Gotta love them Swingers....

Sometimes the guy gets the girl, or in this case, two hot Swingers. It isn't what you are thinking though. These are Dodge Dart Swingers, a 1972 and a 1974 that I picked up from a junkyard.

In my first year at WIU, I became fast friends with the local junkyard owners. Very nice people that I had mentioned in another blog earlier called "Friends in Good Places: Oct 2007".

I had found a 74 Swinger sitting in the yard, looking rather depressed. It was green with a black top. Rusty and beaten. The poor dart needed a lot of work. So I asked my friends what was the story on the Dart, and it was sent to the junkyard when it had become too rusty for the owner.

I politely asked if I could buy it from them, and they said that I could, just let them know when I would like to pull it out of there, and they would get it up front for me. In the meantime, I could work on it there.

It was nearing the end of my first year, and had no way to get the car home. They said that the Swinger was no trouble, whenever I could get it out of there is fine, it wasn't in the way.

So I returned home for the summer to work on my 71 Challenger and other miscellaneous items.

I came back to WIU for my second year and in one of the first weekends returned to the junkyard. I was surprised to find yet another Dart sitting there, this time the 72. It was yellow with white top, 318 small block V8, Power Steering, Power Disk Brakes, and the "rare" large 8 3/4 rear end. It was a sweet little car.

I walked in, my friends were chit chatting, and we all talked about the summer and what had occurred. Once the main talking was done, they said, "So we got you another Swinger".

I almost had a tear in my eye. Apparently, the owner couldn't get it running anymore, the gas tank had rotted out and the car wouldn't start, but would turn over.

We made a deal and both cars were mine for a mere $500. The 72 had a title, but the 74 did not.

I spent the next few months working on the 72, getting a gas tank, as in the last blog, and trying to figure out the ignition issues.

By Thanksgiving Break of that year, I still could not figure out what was wrong. I had gotten my 93 RamCharger and was able to bring the 72 Swinger home. The truck had no heat or defrost, and I came home in a snowstorm of course. That was a very interesting ride.

Upon returning home with the 72, my father and I got to work on it. We finally figured out that the points were shot, we got some new ones, a few pumps of the gas and the car started right up.

Unfortunately, I was unable to keep the car, college bills were pilling up, and I wanted to get my Challenger going, so the 72 went to a good home, and I made some money for the Challenger.

The 74 I never got out of the yard. I never could get it running right, and it was stuck to the frame rails in mud. I left it where it was at the junkyard. I told my friends that I would return someday, crush it if you want, it did not matter to me.

I transferred to Northern Illinois University that following semester and haven't been back since.

Ryan
HemiPwr70@aol.com


169431-R1-17A

169431-R1-18A

Swingers0001

Swingers0003

Swingers0005

Swingers0007

Swingers0008

Swingers0048

Swingers0049

Here is a picture of one of the yard cats, trying to help me, while I'm helping a kid there with his Camaro.

CatEngine001

No comments: