The Barracudas by the lake

After visiting my friend with the tractor trailers, I kept my track and was heading North.  I thought about that 70 Barracuda I had noticed in some trees the week before.  So I decided to swing by again, and see if the owner was around.  I got more then I was asking for!

DSC02549

 I rolled down the street and saw the Barracuda off in the trees, but this time the garage door was open!  The Challenger came to a screeching halt, which brought the owner out from around the back of the house.  I introduced myself and told him what I do.  He said it was alright that I document the cars.

DSC02547

DSC02548

The home where the cars were stored at used to belong to his mother, unfortunately she had passed away, and the son had moved into the home to clean it up.  And since the 80's the car hadn't moved from the garage.

DSC02550

DSC02551

DSC02552

DSC02553

In the 80's the car was rough, so there is a lot of mud (bondo) in the car, but it has everything of the era that made these cars cool.  The kidney bean rims, the big tires in back that stuck out past the quarters, a fiberglass hood.  It was all there.

DSC02555

DSC02557

DSC02559

We didn't want to disturb the car, so we didn't open the doors or pop the hood.  I could see from the VIN the car was an original 340 car, lesser known then it's AAR brethren.  It was still a potent car.  Especially with this one being a 4-speed on the floor.  The owner remembers having a great time with the car, and hopes to someday soon get it out and about again.

DSC02561

DSC02562

DSC02564

Out in the trees was the other car, another 340 car.  This one though an automatic.  It was a parts car long ago for the other one, and it still had a few pieces on there, so the owner never thought to get rid of it.  So it just sat outside under the trees for the past few decades, collecting a beer can or two in that time.

DSC02565

DSC02567

DSC02568

DSC02570

DSC02571

DSC02572

I thanked the owner for his time and got on my way.  I still stop by there a few times a summer and talk with the owner.  The car in the garage still hasn't moved, but it's in a better place then many of the cars I find are at.

You can see the original HOT ROD Magazine article CLICK HERE 

2 comments:

Tuzday's Travels said...

C'mon Ryan....make him an offer.....you know you want to ;)

Central Florida Auto said...

I would definitely make him an offer for that. You would be surprised at what people really want. I see it all the time being in the junk car removal business. I got 61 lincoln, with some body damage for only $400. Talk to the guy, you won't regret it.