Goat for breakfast and a Camaro for Dinner

This past spring, time off has been fleeting. On weekends that I didn't have to be somewhere I would do day trips out on even the smallest of barn find tips. And almost every time, even if I didn't find the car in the tip, I would still find something that made the trip worth it.


DSC06469

Out west of Chicago, where the suburbs start to melt into the countryside there is still a few hidden gems sitting around. I had seen a 1968 – 1970 Dodge Charger sitting outside a guys garage and followed up on this trip, unfortunately nobody was home, so I didn't go and trespass into the guys driveway and just kept heading west. Hoping to score something else.

DSC02489

Pulling into St. Charles I began hitting up the places where people would know of cars hiding at would be. I try to find the oldest parts place in town and start there. The guys there the longest would know about just about everything in town. And that is what I was hoping for.

That didn't happen, there was one older guy at the counter, and he didn't know of anything. But one of the younger kids said that down the road at a repair shop they had just gotten in a few project cars I might be interested in. So I hightailed it to the other side of town to see what was hanging around.

I made it to the shop and it was not a disappointment. The guys were super nice and talked to me for a while. Told me about the project cars a little bit.

A cool 68 Mustang fastback that they are going to make into a Shelby Clone.

DSC02493

DSC02497

They had a cool 68 GTO that was being freshened up and made running after it had been sitting for a while in the owners garage.

DSC02495

DSC02496

A 66 or 67 Chevelle SS supposedly that was I believe the owners project car that they were completely redoing.

DSC02494

At the end of the shop was a customer car, a 67 Mustang Convertible with a mean engine and dressed up like a Shelby. They were getting it ready for the coming summer.

DSC02490

DSC02491

DSC02492

Talking with the guys bit longer, I parted company with them and headed back home. 

That evening I had dinner with a friend of mine (below in shot from last year) and her boyfriend while she was in town. Somehow the conversation came up about Barn Finds and the boyfriend mentioned that his father had an old Camaro buried in the garage. 

DSC05206

Not to miss an opportunity, when I dropped them off at the house, I was allowed to do a quick once over on the car. A late 1970's Camaro, I believe it had a V8 the kid said. Needed a bit of work, the doors had some rust. But definitely a good project car. He said that his dad plans on fixing it up one day.

DSC02470

DSC02471

DSC02472

The evening had come to an end, and we said out goodbyes. I headed home to rest my head upon my bed and think about what all was to come.

No comments: